Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Some tips to reduce bank charges while traveling (4)


Before you go 

Notify your bank before you leave the country you visit. This will prevent your card from being canceled en route when you really need it.
Several institutions allow direct notice on the Internet. Desjardins, I do it when I'm entering dates and countries visited.
Note your credit card numbers and credit so that you will have access in case of theft. The call number for card cancellation is also convenient!
Remember to take a copy of your card as you leave your traveling companion or in another bag in case of theft or loss.
Personally, I never would travel with travelers checks. They became more and more difficult to change and traders receive hate, it reads in their faces. They are also prey to many scams on the road, so unless you use it as an alternative, avoid them.
Find out the maximum amount permitted to be withdrawn per day in Canadian dollars.

On the road 

Vary the methods of payment: I always cash on me and I try as much as possible to pay this way to avoid fees for small transactions.
When possible, I pay with my credit card (in institutions of trust) which gives me additional premium items abroad. In 99% of cases, these points outweigh the costs of conversion / transaction, then I end up winning. Analyze good for you, because all the cards are not born equal!
Some places do not accept payment of Interac kind abroad, so remember to bring a credit card. Visa is the most common, but I happened to have to leave my MasterCard. More options you will have, the better, but hey, do not go crazy either!
Always keep $ 100 in American dollars or euros on you. These currencies are traded better in some countries where you could find none. For example, in Malaysia, I had removed too much money and I was left with more than $ 300 ringgit that I have not exchanged against Canadian money. I had first exchange in euros, which cost me double fees.
Learn about the place or city visited as some distant places just do not have ATMs. Therefore, must be self sufficient funds.
Prefer ATMs affiliated with neighboring banks. You will have less problems to call your card if it ever came to be swallowed during your visit!
More and more accommodation establishments and activity providers accept payment by PayPal or can be booked online. You do not enjoy bargaining power available in some countries, but you will avoid the need to remove and save costs of all kinds, including PayPal.

return 

Analyze your credit card statements and bank.
Calculate the number of times you have withdrawn money, how many transactions you have made, etc. It will help you better manage your finances on your next trip.
Keep your currency or foreign currency notes for an upcoming trip. Exchange them with friends who go to these destinations as required.
Whatever your bank, there are packages designed for travelers. So call your institution and ask what are the different options and do not hesitate to open a specific account for the trip if the bids do not suit you!

source: http://www.moimessouliers.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment